Thursday, July 14, 2005

Diving!

I went to Cuba with my family back in May 2003. While enjoying the sailing and free drinks at the all inclusive resort we were visiting my sisters (Felicia and Lisa) had been chatting to this fellow running a dive shop right next to the resort. Together with my sisters then I did a Discover SCUBA diving course at the resort, and the next day the guys from the dive shop took us out diving around a nearby coral reef (not quite legal since we were not certified divers, but nobody seemed to mind). Well a lot of fun was had by all and we, well I, had been considering going on to do more diving.
After finishing my thesis then I came out to UBC where I promptly found the UBC dive club in the Student Union Building. I quickly hurried by making a mental note to get back here, but for now I had a quantum assignment to do. So on it went; a summer came and passed, until finally two friends of mine (Shawn and Marie-Andree) twisted my rubber arm into taking the Open Water course offered by the UBC dive society. I just returned from my first lesson, which was pretty much a reiteration of the Discover SCUBA course I took before. I thoroughly enjoyed the lesson, and am looking forward to more (on coming Monday). But what really has me excited is the open water dive at the end of the month (30th and 31st) I just can't wait for to see what the waters of BC have to offer below the surface (yes I did a good bit of sailing here last year, and there was much rejoicing).

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! that's something I had intended to do while in Vancouver, but never seemed to get around to it. It's still something I'd like to try some day. I like snorkeling, and I think diving would be soo much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loe the diving course. Initially I was somewhat unsure about doing this, but it is a lot of fun ... even though I am slightly allergic to the chlorine in the pool. Damn I am looking forward to the open water part of this course :)

    ReplyDelete