Friday, September 02, 2005

Holy ...

... crap I have not posted anything in so long it is hardly funny anymore. Let's just throw out all notions of catching up with myself out the door and get going from where I am right now, or more precisely where I was yesterday evening, because that is the latest cool thing I have to ramble about.

So a lot of new residents moved in yesterday, and it was fun meeting just a few of them. I have set my quota to remembering one name a day, and yesterday that place was snatched up by a guy called Tom the moment he said:

"So feel free to drop by my room for a glass of wine. The door will be open and I will be playing violent videogames."

Well if it where beer instead of wine I'd be getting along with this guy even better, but so far we're off to a good start. Sadly I was not able to drop in for wine and violent videogames due to my even geekier previous commitment: Dungeons & Dragons. So after a quick supper Shawn and I sailed off to a friends place to geek out for the evening. This was my first game with this group (while Shawn had been playing there for about a month now). We are in fact a group of level two characters that somehow got lost in the underdark. I had a great time introducing my pirate character to the game, my main goals: consume all grog in the Underdark (we are off to a good start on that one, since I can't seem to get my hands on anything other then water to drink now, and my attempts to distill liquor from mushrooms have come to disastrous ends), then return to the sea (found a big ice lake, I'll call that a good start).

After returning to SJC from the D&D meeting I played through the F.E.A.R. demo (get it from their downloads page). It's only about 30 min of game play, but it gets the idea of the game across. The feel of the game makes me think Doom 3 meets the X-Files. No demons but the paranormal. No Mulder and Skully (ever since watching Full Metal Jacket I can only snicker at that name) but a (!space)marine armed to the teeth ... It was fun to play, I even got a scare or two out of the game. And there was one really creepy episode in a corridor, that would give my grown up sister nightmares for years. Ohh, who am I kidding I was panicking like a little girl too. It deserves the favorable preview it got out of PC gamer (September 2005 Issue, page 24 ... while you are at it, check out Battlefield 2 starting on page 56, it roxxors m3y3 boxxors)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous06:08

    Post pics from ns you bastard!! Stop your slacking and get with it.

    Jon

    BTW Heard that you've figured out what you are doing after this year.

    ReplyDelete