Monday, May 15, 2006

Finding A Good Vantage Point.

Well I am more or less settled into my new place in Victoria now. I have a coupe of pictures of my house up here.

So what could possibly be interesting about a blog on living in Victoria you would like to know. Well we'll have to find out on the way. I have to admit, before I got here the first time I was horrified about the place. I felt like i was going to live in a retirement home, that for some reason had a university attached to it. So far the place does not look so horrifying :)

First off, yes there are a lot of old people here. They seem to be mostly concentrated in Oak Bay, a strange place that is. Nice ... but strange ti seems. There is laws on when you are allowed to mow you lawn for example. And there is a bylaw that will let you sue your neighbors if you feel they have too much weeds in their garden. Tehee, remember we are talking about Vancouver Island here

I got sidetracked ... the next largest population group seems to be the students that go to the University of Victoria. It's a nice campus, in the suburban area close to where all the rich folks live. It similar to the UBC campus with less construction and all the raccoons and skunks replaced with bunnies. I'll try to get a picture or two for you guys.

Finally there are a lot of newly wed or newly divorced people here. These seem to be the population group supporting the previous two.

Overall this makes a very interesting population meld. Everybody seems rather relaxed, and they just seem to enjoy life here. There is great diving, great sailing, and great beer. Hence this will most likely be a blog about a) beer, b) diving, c) sailing. On top of that my friends Calum and Parie over at St John's at UBC asked me to scout out some good breakfast pubs, which in fact makes the main motivation for this blog. Finally you may even learn about the more interesting results of my attempts at cooking :)

So yeah there it is. post 1, done!

3 comments:

  1. So are you going to find yourself a rich divorcee then Frank?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, one with a sailboat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot. I want to see bunnies.

    And it's nice to hear from Aleks. Hope Caroline's well too.

    ReplyDelete